Monday, August 16, 2010

Ridin' Solo with Missy Elliott..





In the past week I have had my fair share of Hip Hop Culture. I started the week off with seeing 'Step up 3d' which catapults you to dreams of living in NYC, being ridiculously good at dancing and rocking kicks 24-7, to a Hip hop class on Saturday where I tried to live out the dream with realisation that I've got a long way to go as a white gurl. This is all in anticipation that Missy Elliott is coming to Sydney in a month. I must prepare!

We started learning a routine to Jason Derulo's 'Riding solo. Side note: There's something sickingly addictive about Jason Derulo's music. It has the effect of making me want to be striding across a dance floor with a microphone.

We learnt quite a lot of steps and I forgot how much fun choreographed dancing is. I may have gotten a dancing trophy in school. It’s not important that it was for 'Most improved'. The whole thing was pretty bad ass right down to the instructor YOLANDA who's advice RE Jason Derulo's 'Riding solo' is "Don't let those rings weigh you down gurls!”

Too true.

There were some amazing dancers even for a beginners class and the whole thing inspired me to get some Hip hop FLAVA and lay-by some kicks. But I think I might wait a few more weeks before I bust out as Honey Daniels.

But I better be quick.. Missy Elliott is playing at Parklife on October 2nd and if I don't have a start to finish choreographed dance to 'I'm really hot' I'll be mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment